1. Set realistic expectations of yourself
2. When feeling depressed and anxious, ask yourself what is my belief system and what am I telling myself about that event. Then ask yourself what would I tell a friend in a similar situation.
3. Focus on what you are doing which is positive.
4. Rather than focusing on what you can not control, address what you can.
5. Listen to your emotions. If you do not deal with them, then they will deal with you.
6. Use relaxation visualization, relaxation training, yoga, etc.
7. Practice daily healthy self talk. (What would you say to a loved one?)
8. Know when you need to take time off from work.
9. Monitor alcohol consumption. Alcohol is a depressant and rarely brings the best out of anybody.
10. Reduce caffeine ingestion.
11. Get adequate sleep.
12. Find humor in situations and yourself.
....... For more information on how to deal with stress and to improve your stress management techniques contact:
Psychological Consultants & Affiliates